Thursday, March 31, 2011

One of Bill's favorite things: Birds

Well I cannot believe it has already been a week since my first post. I guess this really is our first week of content however.  For my contributions in the upcoming weeks I will be sharing a weekly painting. Not to get all of your hopes up but they will only be a small sized painting.

I just finished a small novella called “Jonathan Livington Seagull” by Richard Bach. This novella is an inspirational classic from the 70’s that really compares the blind life of religion to a flock of seagulls. The painting here, is what I imaged what happened at the end of Part One, when two radiant birds come for Jonathan to take him to a "higher plane of existence" (a possible allusion that there is no heaven but a better world found through perfection of knowledge), where he meets other gulls who love to fly. The learning process, linking the highly experienced teacher and the diligent student, is raised into almost sacred levels, suggesting that "a seagull is an unlimited idea of freedom, an image of the Great Gull."

In all it was a good read and its only 127 pages so it’s pretty short and one can finish it in an afternoon, so pick up a copy if you happen to come across one.

I will see you all next week when I post my next painting of the week.

1 comment:

  1. I actually read Jonathan in the 70's. Thank you for reminding me. I think I will read it again. I love the painting. Such freedom.

    ReplyDelete